Sunday, October 4, 2009

Religion

Discussing religion is always a touchy subject. It is something people have intensely strong feelings about. I usually try not to touch that subject, but my life is surrounded, daily, by the quandaries of religion. I am a card carrying, garment wearing, temple worthy LDS person, who teaches at a Lutheran school. I have sent my kids to the same school for five years now. I love the school for it's small class size and personal attention. I do like the fact that my kids are taught the lessons from the bible and that they are are able to pray before meals and at the end of the day. I like the fact that for the most part I don't have to worry about who my kids are playing with at school and what kinds of bad things they might learn. My kids can actually sing Christmas songs about Christ or Santa. They are not bullied with political correctness (which I believe has far overstepped its purpose.)
Because I work at a religious institution, they have the right to hire based on religious preferences. I had tried to get hired at my kids school for many years, and often believed I was not chosen because of my religion. The people they hired instead have all come and gone. I believe that after watching me for many years, they were confident in my commitment to the school and in upstanding living. I believe that is why they finally decided that I was an allowable choice to join the staff. I am of the opinion that my religious beliefs are my business. If someone asks, I will tell; but I do not go around publicizing my beliefs.
Now with all that said, here is my point. About a month ago in my class a young boy started to make fun of LDS people by making references to the South Park clip (which other than the dumb, dumb, dumb music - I didn't not think it was really all that bad.) So I said to the student, "you might want to be careful because you never know when an LDS person could be standing near you." He looked shocked. "Are you LDS?" he asked. At that point I told him yes. My students were unaware what religion I was up until that point. I have always felt that most Christian religions should teach tolerance of others and their beliefs.
The other day when I was trying to find a quote about missionaries (see post below) I ran across an interesting article called, "Theocracy in America" by Stephanie Mencimer. I read it. It is a typical attempt at Mormon bashing. The most shocking part about it was she states she went to the very Lutheran school I teach at. She talks about part of the reason for attending the school was to get away from the Mormons in the public schools. I was absolutely disgusted to think that someone who calls themselves a Christian would publish such a defamatory article about another religion. Especially someone who went to the school where I teach and so strongly support. I wonder how she would feel to know that a card carrying, garment wearing, temple worthy LDS person not only teaches at her school, but also sends all four of her kids there. The faculty have often commended me for how wonderful my children behave and how they set good moral examples for the others. I have viewed my time at the Lutheran school as an opportunity to be an ambassador to others, so that others can see that the negative stereotypes they have of the LDS people are not always true.
Anyway, I was thinking that Stephanie should not have written her article and that she should be more tolerant of others -- that she should be more politically correct. Then it hit me -- I was wrong. Stephanie has every right to speak her opinion and not be tolerant of LDS people, so long as she does not infringe upon my human rights. I came to this conclusion because I started to think about the Islamic religion that teaches they must kill all who do not believe in Allah. If I continued to believe that everyone must be tolerant of others religions, then I must believe I must tolerant of the belief that it is okay to kill someone just because they don't believe what you do, and I can't support that. If we are too politically correct and worry too much about what others think or say about us, we will live in fear and someday, someone will come and take our rights away because we didn't stand up for what we thought was wrong. Just like how millions of Jews were allowed to be killed by Hitler. As Elie Weisal said, "there must never be a time we fail to protest." As Camus said, "Not to take a stand, is a stand." I want to be able to take a stand. I want the right to to stand up and say "This is Wrong!" So, therefore, I guess I have to allow Stephanie that same right -- which is tolerance. So, now where am I? Back at the beginning? Oh WHY can't we all just get along??

No comments:

Post a Comment