Monday, November 2, 2009

Writing a Book

I have written two books in the last nine years. Neither of them are published. Truly, I would not chalk that up to my writing (yet). Mostly, it is because I am afraid of the publishing process and therefore have not adequately tried to present my work to publishers. My second book, which I finished last April, I have only sent to two publishers. My first book, I only sent out queries to six publishers. I have heard stories of people sending out 50 to 200 queries before getting a bite. I have noticed that writing and promoting my material is usually only something I do in the springtime. I can't think of any particular reason why that is; it just is.
Anyway, last May I sent my book off to Granite publishing, and a few weeks ago, I had a strange experience. The man whom Granite paid to read through my manuscript called me. He said he didn't think Granite would publish it, but he did think my manuscript was compelling and was a great message for others. He told me that "readers" are not supposed to contact potential writers and that I should not tell the company he called. So, I have been trying to understand just what was his purpose for calling -- and I don't understand. During the call he said he would send me a letter with some advice for re-writes, which I received yesterday along with complimentary copies of two of his published books.
The letter was three full pages of typewritten (actually on a typewriter) material. In it, he tells me the "reader" only does a cursory review for the company. So, it was probably on his negative review remarks that Granite has chosen not to publish my book. However, he wrote to me he was "captivated and impressed" with what I wrote. He went on to say that my, "struggle...is quite typical of what so many young people face today. You are doing a good job and and I am impressed with your spirit and sincerity."
Since, no one has obviously ever read my book, let me tell you - it is about me losing my faith in the church and how I regained my testimony.
The interesting part about some of his advice for rewrites is that they go exactly to the point of why I wrote the book. For example, he tells me to discuss the "incident and the boy you dated before his mission," only once and then leave it alone. However, most of the point of the book is how people treated me because of "that incident" and how "his mission" effected my life and how not waiting for him effected my testimony. In the letter he admonished me not to give my opinion on when I think boys ought to go on missions because, "it is not my right to counsel general authorities." Wow! I never stopped to think about a general authority sitting down to read my book. However, if they did, I wouldn't view what I wrote as trying to counsel them or change any church policies. However, I would honestly say, that I am trying to counsel mothers regarding their expectations and pressures they put on their son's regarding missions. He proves my point when he quotes a general authority that says 50% of young men who go on misisons leave the church after they get home. (He said the G.A. said it's all the young women's fault. -- I have searched and searched for any type of quote on the church site and can't find one...if you can find it, please let me know!) If 50% of our missionaries leave the church after they get home, there is obviously a problem.
He also talked about a psychologist who says, and mission presidents that would teach that we should not rehash the past. That we should just repent and go forward. Does that mean then I shouldn't write the book at all since it is just a rehash of the past? Looking at my past has helped me to learn about myself, to understand why I think and believe the things I do. I believe I have learned valuable lessons and want to share them with others -- that is why I wrote the book. A year ago I was in a a salon getting my nails done and was listening to the young women doing my nails. She was talking about "her" young man on a mission, how his mom didn't like her, how another boy asked her out on a date and she didn't know what to do. It was like looking at myself umpteen number of years ago. I knew exactly what to tell her. Stay strong and wait.
My reviewer goes on to say, "We came to this earth to prepare for Celestial glory. We are not supposed to be preparing for anything else." A huge premise of my book is that it was this exact same sentiment that turned me away from the church when I was young. I was told my education and "my" mission and my plans for my life didn't matter -- only marrying the man I knew I should marry was important. As an adult, I understand the sentiment to be 100% true, but I couldn't look past the limitations I felt it put on me then. (Side note and adjacent to my point: if missions are not a requirement for Celestial glory, then why is the pressure to go so intense?)
So, with all that said, I come back to why did the man call me and send me his letter? Was it to encourage me as a writer? Or was it to counsel me as a member of the church? Although he seems to like my book and my overall message in the end -- some of his advice seems to contradict the idea that I should even try to move forward in publishing it. I don't know. It doesn't matter too much because now I won't get back to it until next Spring. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment